Friday 8 November 2013

Considering My Digital Identity

Developing my digital identity has been a major goal and focus of my EC&I 831 course.  A couple of weeks back, our instructor, Alec Couros, posed a number of questions for us to consider regarding our digital identity.  In reading the responses of Jessica Madiratta (Digital Me) and Kristen Hansen (This is me - in digital), and reading articles about digital identity, I have really put some thought to my ever evolving development in this area. Here are my responses to a few of these questions.

1. Have you ever Googled yourself?
I have done this a number of times and I have definitely witnessed an evolution in this area.  A few years back, a quick search of my name resulted in very few results linked to me.  As a result of work I have done in this class, I can definitely say that a Google search of my name results in many links specific to social media accounts I have.  As well, a Google search of my name also provides evidence of projects I have created and examples of digital collaboration with other individuals.  In educating students about developing their digital identity, the idea of being "Googled" by potential employers is an important point to discuss.  The article, "You've been Googled: What employers don't want to see in your online profile", suggests a number of common things employers look for in potential candidates.  I think students recognize that a Google search which results in embarrassing photos or examples of inappropriate behavior can jeopardize the chances of a positive interview.  What I don't think students realize is that a Google search which results in very little or no information can also be seen as a negative thing.  Part of your digital identity should point towards evidence of positive use of the internet, and should provide employers with examples of collaboration and participation within online networks.

2. Did what you find surprise you?
For the most part.  The answer to this question is no.  What did surprise me was the image results associated with my name.  I need to understand how and why some of the images that are displayed are linked to the search terms "Dean Benko".  What I have noticed is that the image results change on a daily basis.

3.  Have you ever thought about your digital identity?  Does it matter to you?  How so?
I definitely have developed my digital identity in a purposeful way.  Before I entered into my position as Technology Coach, my involvement in social media was very minimal.  Every network I have joined and every account I have created has been done with my professional identity in mind.  Because I wanted to provide evidence of my online involvement in social networks, I have always created accounts using my full name, (no nicknames).  I am currently active with Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, YouTube, edConnectr, and MimioConnect.  I am very conscious of what I post and feel my presence on each of these accounts represents the "professional" side of me.  However, I recognize the "personal" side of me is underrepresented in these spaces.  Providing some glimpses into the more "personal" side of me would allow people the opportunity to connect in more meaningful ways.

4. What policies or processes could schools adopt regarding digital identity? 
I think this is definitely something schools can help students understand and address.  I also feel that it is something which should be addressed with students at an early age, when they are just starting out on the path of creating their digital identity.  Sue Waters brought up a very interesting point during her Introduction to Blogging presentation.  She said one things schools shouldn't do is force a digital identity on students.  She referred to a number of incidents of students asking to have their childhood blog sites removed because teachers had them create these accounts using their full names, and the students didn't want this work to become part of their digital identity.  I do think it is important to help students identify characteristics of positive digital identities, and to provide them with the skills and tools to create their own. 

How would you respond to these questions?  Has your digital identity evolved over the years?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dean, your picture in this blog looks so cool! I felt so sad that there are so many same names when I searched Fei Liu, but none of them refers to me. However, when I search my name together with my working project, it's so magical that my work experience was displayed as well as my blog in thi class and our blog hub. I don't know how it achieved such a intelligent function.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fei,
      I also had trouble finding things related to me when I first tried searching. "Dean" comes up as the title for a person in charge of a university and "Benko" is a German band. Good for you for modifying your search to get more specific results.

      Delete