Monday 7 October 2013

Tweaking My Blog

This past week my EC&I 831 course had the great fortune of hearing Sue Waters present "An Introduction to Blogging."  As a novice blogger, I listened with great interest as Sue provided tip after tip aimed at making each of us better bloggers.  Over the course of this week I revisited the notes I had taken and began to implement  many of the suggestions Sue had recommended.  Here is a summary of what I have managed to accomplish:

1. Failure to Link
Sue's first suggestion of providing hyperlinks wherever possible is a key benefit for using blogs.  I had been attempting to provide some hyperlinks in my posts, but Sue's example demonstrated for me the types of links I should be including.  People reading my blog should be able to easily explore the topics I am writing about, and hyperlinks provide that ease of access.  I am now making an attempt to include more hyperlinks in my posts.

2. Failure to Connect
In describing the blogging cycle, Sue suggested that people may be good at publishing posts.  However, she noted that effective blogging is about more than just publishing posts. A slide she included summed it up well: "Blogging isn't publishing.  It's about social learning."
 As part of the cycle, I should be reading and reflecting on the posts of others, and then commenting on those posts.  Having connected and engaged in dialogue with others, I should then return to my blog to continue my publishing.  This week I have made an effort to read the posts of fellow colleagues, and to comment on a few.

Sue also mentioned the importance of including an "About Me" page on a blog.  As a result, I now have a dedicated "About Me" page which includes a brief summary about me and contact info for each of my social network profiles.  I also took the time to update my profile descriptions with Google+, LinkedIn, and Twitter.  I also made it easier to follow me on Twitter by including a "Recent Tweets" gadget on my blog.


Enjoying "the process" while  tweaking my blog
3. Reading Online
Sue provided a number of hints for improving the reading experience of visitors to the blog.  I have kept my theme pretty plain, so my blog did not require any radical changes.  However, I did agree with Sue's suggestions of using interesting titles and the incorporation of images as attention grabbing techniques.  These are two things I will continue to incorporate into future posts.


Sue also recommend that effective workflow should be about "working smarter, not harder."  She suggested the following workflow pattern:
  •  Visit the EC&I Blog Hub
  • Select a post of interest
  • Comment on the post
  • When leaving a comment ensure that the notification option for follow-up comments has been selected
Sue also recommended the use of Flipboard as a curation tool for EC&I 831 content.  I have been a big fan of Flipboard for the past couple of years, but I had never taken the time to set-up an account and create my own magazines.  After hearing Sue speak, I created an account and began curating my own magazine content this week.

4. Focusing Too Much on Readers
The final point Sue made is that bloggers sometimes focus too much on what they think readers want to see.  She recommends that blogging should be primarily about enjoying the process.  This is something that I am starting to embrace.

Sue ended presentation by providing us with a wealth of links for effective blogging practice, and directed us towards some exemplar blogs.
Accomplishments This Week
  • Created About Me section for my blog
  • Updated and expanded my profile for Twitter, Google+, and LinkedIn
  • Increased my use of images and hyperlinks in my posts
  • Continued reading, commenting, and sharing of resources
  • Chose a final project and began work toward the presentation

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for your post Dean. It looks like you learned a lot from @suewaters session on blogging. Like you I too added a about me section albeit it scarce. I am not one to put too many personal details about where I work, my family, etc. online. Maybe I will get over this at some point. I also added an avatar and changed my theme for like the 4th time. I rearranged some of the blocks on the sides. I added a widget that automatically posts all my Diigo bookmarks to my blog once per week. I am also really liking the recent comments widget in my Wordpress blog. I am really enjoying commenting on other people's blogs. I use the blog hub in Feedly to find a blog post I want to comment on. I notice that Wordpress has an option to see all comments made on other people's blogs, providing that you sign into your blog profile before you post your comment, by clicking Comments I have made under the Wordpress Dashboard. Although, I am not sure if my comments on blogger sites are showing up. So, I bookmarked the blog pages I made a comment on so I find these posts later as part of our assignment submission. Posting on Blogger has been giving me some problems. Not as easy to use, in my opinion as Wordpress. I guess I will see after I post here if it shows up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Greg - thanks for the comments. I haven't had a lot of experience with Wordpress. My decision to use Blogger was based on two things when I made the choice at the start of the semester:
      1. It seemed like it would sync easily with my Google+ profile, which I thought would make it easy to post blogs to our Google+ community.
      2. It was one of the blogs supported by If This Then That, making it easy to tweet any blogs I post
      I have followed your blog over the course of the semester and have enjoyed reading your posts. My plan is to take some time over the long-weekend to visit a number of the blogs and catch-up on what others have been doing. Enjoy the long-weekend.

      Delete
  2. Dean your blog post is a demonstration of all the things Sue says makes a good blog:

    -short paragraphs
    -use of bullets
    -provided links

    Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica,
      Thanks for the feedback. I took a look at your blog and really like the theme you have chosen because it fills the screen and maximizes the use of space. I'm not really sure I like the amount of open space my theme has on the sides of the screen. My plan over the weekend is to visit the blogs of fellow classmates to see what they have been doing. I also liked your About.Me page and think I may create one for myself. Enjoy your weekend.

      Delete
  3. Hi Dean

    Glad my session helped! You have been working hard!

    Alec deserves the credit for the use of images. I had removed the section on using images due to time restrictions so I am glad he highlight how important images are nowadays compared to when I first started blogging.

    The issue with commenting on blogger is related to the comment setting used. It's best to include Anyone so that there is Name/URL as an option for visitors to use when leaving a comment. We have similar issue in the student challenge and you can see a screenshot here of our recommended comment setting - http://studentchallenge.edublogs.org/2013/09/07/challenge-tips-1/

    Also make sure you select Notify me of comments so you can receive the follow up comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sue,
    Thanks for the constructive feedback. I really gained a lot of insight from your presentation and I am trying to implement your suggestions into my practice. I took a look at my comment settings and think I have made the appropriate adjustments. Thanks for pointing these out to me. My plan this weekend is to spend time visiting a number of blogs, where I am sure I will get a number of additional ideas as to how to enhance my own space. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete